Thursday, April 15, 2010

Epiphany

Last night whilst I was watching my 11 month old son sleep, I had an epiphany. I am so in love with my son and I want the best for him in everything. I am determined that he will always have everything that he needs (and honestly, probably most of what he wants. I'm a real push-over when it comes to Harry) and I will give him every opportunity to reach his dreams. I then realised that all other mothers have stood over their babies and thought the same thing. Want them to be healthy and happy, and to have the best of everything - including the best education. This is where my epiphany came in - I can make those mother's wishes come true! I can be a part of giving their child the best education through my own commitment to their child and my own self-development. This is where courses like the ICT course; the literacy course; the pedagogical frameworks; and the inclusion and diversity course really come into their own. These courses are no longer just about getting the information that I need to make me an effective teacher and to help me pass the course, but rather, the tools that I need to impact the lives of children and their families. This is both an exciting and daunting prospect, but one that I am willing and wanting to tackle head-on.
Perhaps what I have written is incredibly cheesy, incredibly naive, or perhaps even replicating what you have been thinking (perhaps all along), but this is now where I am at in my GDLT learning - it's no longer about me, but my future students and their mother's hopes and dreams.

- Leesha

No comments:

Post a Comment